Out of our togetherness

A little history


Like any family, we have a family tree!


St Clare began in Assisi in 1212. Your little sisters at Ty Mam Duw were founded in 1928 from Notting Hill. They in turn were founded in 1857 by Poor Clare Colettines from Bruges, Belgium A Poor Clare community was in existence there during the life of Saint Clare, founded by Blessed Ermentrude to whom St Clare wrote one of her letters, (possibly two). Bruges was re-founded in 1457 from Ghent. Ghent was founded in 1420 by Holy Mother Colette from Poligny which she had founded in 1415.

In 1928, the Abbess of Notting Hill was Mother Felix Clare Vaughan, the niece of Cardinal Herbert Vaughan. Her cousin, Bishop Francis Vaughan asked her to send sisters to pray in his Welsh diocese. She sent Mother Cherubina Clare de Morla, Novice Mistress in London, and six novitiate sisters. After living two years in a council house in Flint, they moved to an old house in Hawarden, Aston Bank which they rebuilt in a haphazard and piecemeal way, as funds became available. The present community inherited the monastery in 1982 at the invitation of Archbishop Ward. The church was rebuilt in 1986 with the Portiuncula shrine Chapel of our Lady, and bits get added on as we need more space.....